Saturday 24 January 2015

Hercules (2014)

I'm a big fan of Greek mythology and in particular Hercules and that's the only reason I would say I didn't like this movie as much as I should. I'm wanting a movie that follows the story of Hercules a lot more closely than anyone has done before but maybe it wont translate well for a movie, could need a TV series to include the labours in detail. Any way I guarantee that if I didn't like the myths so much I would have said this was my favourite movie of the last year for sure. The story is portrayed realistically and it works well. Also, I love the fights and battles in this movie. Very satisfying for an epic movie enthusiast.


Dwayne Johnson was definitely perfect as Hercules, the look of him is fits exactly with what I would picture him to look like. It's not just his physique but also his height helped with this as he already towers above most men. The only thing lacking in this Hercules is the same thing most movies and TV shows about him miss out and that was his arrogance. I guess it wouldn't be the best to have the hero being a bit of a dick though.


Another few things this movie has that other Hercules movies need are long hair and a beard (ancient Greeks were mega-proud of their beards), Hercules actually wearing his iconic lion's fur helmet/cloak (why other movies leave out his most iconic piece of clothing, I don't know) and his massive club. It's the latter two that make him stand out so much from the other demigods (there were actually quite a few of them and they were all said to have been as big or almost as big as Hercules, yes even Jason and Iolaus).


Another thing that's awesome about this movie is the band of mercenaries that Hercules travels with; Iolaus, Atalanta, Amphiaraus, Autolycus and Tydeus (Who are all based on Greek heroes). Tydeus and Atalanta being pretty cool in particular.


Atalanta is even more interesting to those of us that like women as she is played by the ever gorgeous Norwegian actress Ingrid Bolsø Berdal.


There's also the lovely Rebecca Ferguson as Ergenia, the daughter of Lord Cotys (John Hurt). Not the beautiful singer but the beautiful actress who seems to be harder to find on Google for some reason.


You should watch this movie... it's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment