Tuesday 5 August 2014

Gangs of New York

Gangs of New York is one of my favourite movies of all time. The whole setting is fantastic, I love crime movies and epics set in this period. This movie combines both the gritty criminal underworld with the full scale battles the gangs and police had back then (its based loosely on real events and people). The battle that starts the movie is probably one of the best looking fights in cinema and is the best gang fight I can think of in movies or TV. It's shot so well, the blood in the snow, the chaos and the brutality all make it look pretty realistic. The cast is fantastic too, a lot of my favourite actors are in there: Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz, Liam Neeson, Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Lewis, John C. Reilly and Stephen Graham.


Daniel Day-Lewis definitely steels the show as the terrifying William "Bill the Butcher" Cutting who was based on the real-life gang leader William Poole.


You also know I can't ignore a pretty girl. At the time this movie was released I was obsessed with Cameron Diaz and she was the original reason I wanted to see this movie.


This movie is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of cinema and you should give it a watch if you haven't seen it yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment