Thursday 4 September 2014

Top five video games for bows

I've decided to start doing more top fives, they wont be consistent or related and it may be a long time before I do another but I liked doing the Top 5 Women and Top 5 Movies posts. This is a bizarre one to start with I know but for some reason it's the only top 5 I don't have to have a good long think about. I really love using a good bow in a video game and it makes me want to learn how to use them in real life.

5. Thief, the bow in this is very versatile with interchangeable arrows including fire, water, rope and stun arrows. My favourite is the original, the physics of a man falling to his knees after being shot in the face with an arrow in this game are fantastic. It's very satisfying getting a head shot while being chased.


4. Tomb Raider, I loved using this bow, the physics of getting a head shot are amazing, it would have been higher if it wasn't for the heavily armoured enemies making it impossible to get a one hit kill. It's fantastic hunting with the bow though and it's rope arrows were pretty satisfying to use.


3. The Last of Us, this game had a similar feel to Tomb Raider which made me glad that I played Tomb Raider on the PS3 instead of the Xbox 360. I loved the bow in this so much that I only ever used the guns when I was over run with mutants.


2. Skyrim, this one would have been top if it wasn't for the fact you could shoot someone in the face and they just get annoyed then you shoot them in the wrist and they die like they were in an explosion. Other than that it's very satisfying maxing out your bow skill and taking down even powerful enemies with one shot, even if it is to the knee. You can't beat that first time you get a bandit in the eye from miles away, especially with the slow-mo death cam.


1. Far Cry 3, just like in The Last of Us thanks to the existence of this bow I rarely used guns and bombs at all. Also just like the rest of the bows in this list (except Skyrim) the physics of getting a kill with this bow are stunning, even if it is of death. It just feels right hunting with this bow too. I loved perching myself on a cliff like Hawkeye and taking out an entire outpost without anyone knowing I'm there. You also can't beat the feeling of getting an insta-kill on a heavily armoured enemy by getting a weak spot in his armour.


Bonus points for having a pretty neon version with neon arrows in Blood Dragon.


No comments:

Post a Comment